A horrific fire tragedy at a nightclub in Santa Maria, a small Brazilian city, has claimed 200 teenagers’ lives, sending Brazil into sorrow.
The fireworks show in the club on Saturday night proved to be disastrous. As fireworks hit the ceiling of the packed club with 2,000 teenagers, the foam-based soundproofing material caught fire and within minutes, the club was enveloped in huge flames and thick smoke, which asphyxiated them. In the ensuing stampede, several of them were trampled to death.
The fire was so intense that the firemen had to demolish a wall to enter the club located in Santa Maria, a rich city some 300 km west of the state capital, which will host some games of the FIFA World Cup - 2014.