The death toll due to poisoning after eating midday meal at a Bihar government school has reached 20. The children had fallen ill soon after eating the meal, consisting of rice, pulse and soyabean.Twenty seven others, including a cook, are seriously ill and have been shifted to Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH). While 16 children, aged below 10 years had died in Chhapra itself, four others were declared dead on arrival at PMCH late last night.
The tragedy took place at the government primary school in Dahrmasati Gandawan village at Mashrakh block, 60 km from the state capital.
Chief minister Nitish Kumar has ordered a high level inquiry into the incident. A forensic science team will assist the probe, to be conducted jointly by Saran Divisional Commissioner and DIG.