1. No hike in passenger fares: Since the fares were increased by 21% last month only, there is no hike now. However, be ready to pay higher supplementary charges for superfast trains and tatkal reservations.
2. 5% fuel surcharge on freight: Likely to stoke inflation further and send up the prices of essential goods.
3. GenNext e-ticketing system: Expect a more convenient booking on-line as the new system will support 1.2 lakh users per minute. Also, you may access free Wi-Fi in some trains. Bookings on mobile phones and SMS alerts for train status will ease your life.
4. Better railway stations: Spruced up facilities at the Delhi, New Delhi and Nizamuddin stations. 60 more stations will be developed as 'Adarsh' stations. Also, 179 escalators and 400 elevators will be installed at various stations. Braille stickers will be used for the visually-impaired.
5. Better Connectivity: 26 new passenger trains and 67 express trains.
6. Job Bonanza: 1.52 lakh new Railway jobs this year. Out of these, 47,000 vacancies are be for the weaker sections and the physically challenged. 10% RPF jobs will be reserved for women. The youth will be imparted railway-related skills at 25 locations. A multi-disciplinary training institute to be set up at Nagpur. Another institute at Secunderabad - the Indian Railways Institute of Financial Management. Also, five fellowships on IR-related topics will be started at national universities.